People live out their lives in stories and journeys. The only way we can access our true selves is to experience our lives as fully as possible to unlock meaning and purpose. Finding yourself can seem frivolous in the context of all the deadlines, commitments, and responsibilities we have. Yet it’s an essential practice toward seeing the beauty of life, finding peace in the day-to-day, and having the strength to contribute to others.
As we get closer to the end of the year, we have a rare opportunity for quiet. For a brief number of days, it’s as if the world hushes a bit. I encourage you to make some time at the end of 2022 to reflect on all that has been in the world around you and how you have been personally. Consider:
- What were the core themes of your journey in 2022?
- What have you learned about yourself this year?
- Where did you get off track this year and want to improve in 2023?
- How are you better off now than you were in January 2022?
Self-discovery is highly valuable. It allows us to respect ourselves more fully. The more we understand who we are, the more we prevent disrespecting ourselves through less-than-best habits, excessive activity, and meaningless pursuits. Proving ourselves can be exhausting but expressing ourselves is fulfilling.
Taking time to reflect at year-end isn’t a trite self-improvement project. It is about honoring who you are. Consider:
- What did you love about 2022? Why were these the best aspects of the year?
- What challenged you this year? What did this frustration, suffering, or pain teach you?
- What lessons of this year do you want to bring fully into 2023?
By understanding where we’ve been, we become more ready to envision intentionally where we hope, value, and enjoy going. Our vision for the future is best informed by understanding what has been and how it has shaped us.
We at Lead Star wish you a wonderful holiday season of joy, reflection, and rest.